Friday, August 12, 2016

The Flying Grate


Rusty: I'm still in shock.  Jan tried to kill Cyndi Tuesday night.

Marcus:  She did?  How did I miss that?

Rusty:  I think you dogs were sleeping in the living room, but we cats were in the kitchen.

Marcus:  How did Jan try to kill you, Cyndi?


Cyndi:  She threw one of these gas stove grates at me.  And it was red hot!

Marcus:   She did what!

Micah:  Oh, come on, stop kidding around.  Jan did not throw a red hot grate at any of us.

Cyndi:  She did too.  And it just missed me.

Micah:  By a mile.  Well, by a several feet.  But she did not throw it at you!

Rusty:  I saw it.  Good thing I was on the other side of the room. 

Cyndi:  Well, if she didn't throw it at me, who ... whom ... why did she throw it?

Micah:  Because when she was wiping down the stove, she grabbed the grate and it was so hot she tossed it without thinking.  She had the burner turned on so low to heat veggies for dinner, she didn't notice it needed to be turned off.

Marcus:  *nodding*  Until she grabbed the grate.

Micah:  Exactly.  Have you ever picked up hot metal with a bare paw?

Rusty:  No.  I think I can do without that experience.

Micah:  So could Jan, but it happened.

Cyndi:  So that's why she ran cold water over her finger right away.  But she put something on it and went back to washing dishes.

Micah:  Undiluted tea tree oil.  A little at a time until the burning stopped.

Rusty:  So if she had hit one of us she would have doused us with that oil?

Marcus:  No! Tea tree oil should never be used on a cat or dog.  (Pet Poison Helpline)

Cyndi:  But it works for humans?

Micah:  Yes, for "minor" burns.  This is not the first time Jan has grabbed something hot and gotten a painful burn.  The tea tree oil takes away the pain and she doesn't even get a blister to remind her of what happened.  (It's not advised for a large area or a deep tissue burn because there would be the possibility of the skin healing before the inner tissue has.)

Marcus:  I've seen Jan coat fire ant bites with it too.  The bites still blister and the itching hangs around for a while, but the burning pain goes away.

Micah:  Are you guys going to retract your story that Jan tried to kill you?

Rusty:  I will if Cyndi will.

Cyndi: I will if Jan apologizes for almost scaring the poop out of me when I saw that grate go flying by.  On second thought, I will if she breaks out the fishy flakes.  


Jan:  This is not an ad of any kind.  Just sharing some information that has helped me many a time!  It's so easy to grab something hot and get a blister burn.  And anyone who lives in fire ant territory knows how painful it is to be attacked by them.  I have found it harder to stop the burning pain from fire ant bites than from grabbing something heated.   I always keep a small bottle of tea tree oil handy. 

20 comments:

  1. TBT here: I had a piece of bread stuck in the toaster last month and I got mad and grabbed... the... toaster. It didn't occur to me that the OUTSIDE would be hot. Blisters on 3 fingers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! I bet that burn hurt lots! My human has some tea tree oil, but she rarely uses it because she is scared to touch us kitties for HOURS after she puts some on. She is a little bit over-cautious - have I ever mentioned that? It's practically a neurosis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch, ouch ! We're glad to hear that Jan had immediately the right kind of action : cold water and tea tree oil. We're sorry you thought she wanted to kill you, though. Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know that tea tree oil is bad fur dogs. Thanks for sharing that wid us!
    From Vancouver,
    Louis Dog Armstrong

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    Good ol' Aussie TTO!!! Have used that stuff for a quarter century now and it is a marvellous healer of all things skin related. So glad to read that you have it there in the states (never really thought about it before). A little goes a long way too.

    Sorry it had to be used for such a reason; but I have done the exact same thing on more than one occasion - turning the gas burner down to lowest and then forgetting it. Tsk...... Anyway, am glad that all furries and peeps are recovered and not at risk of death after all. Hugs wags whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...Mama never thought about using her TTO on burns!!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouchie! Mom was fixing cornbread in the stove one time and without thinking reached in with her bare hands and picked up the iron skillet. It was like your moment - an ounchie jumping all over the kitchen moment. Hope your finger feels better sweet friend. XOXO - Bacon

    ReplyDelete
  8. YEOW! I am so very glad that we have a glass top stove and no more cleaning those burners!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMD! That had to hurt! Hope it is OK now!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  10. guys....tell jan ta try coconut oil two...organic 100 purrcent...N itz knot harm ful ta petz.....glad her dinna end up with a vizshuz burn...that wooda hurt like soundz like swell

    heerz two a sand knifefish kinda week oh end guyz !! ☺☺☺ ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad Jan was OK and none of you were near it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That must have been scary for you to see the grate flying through the air! Painful for Jan too. I hope the burns soon heal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dang, that smarts! Glad you were able to duck n' run!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is great to know because I cannot keep an aloe vera plant alive for burns! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Poor kitties, we're glad Jan wasn't hurt too much and the grate missed you all. Mom bean says she has heard of tree tea oil but hasn't used it. We think she better get some because she's been knowing to touch hot stuff too.

    Sasha, Sami, & Saku

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH, I am so glad you are not scarred for life or have a deep horrible kitchen burn!! I use that cream Foile, which helps a lot, but the best thing is cold water or ice, as you did immediately. But now I'll get mama to bring the tea tree oil into the kitchen for safety. Smells a bit strong though...maybe she'll understand when I split if she's using it. Good for nails, too, the ones on your paws.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad no one was badly hurt!
    Wow do we ever understand about fire ant bites. I am always watching out for those little critters and try to keep them down as much in the yard as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yikes! I'm glad everyone is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMC! That sounds so painful. Jan, we hope your burn is not too bad, and that it heals up quickly. Hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We are sorry your Miss Jan had a burning trouble with that grate, but we are glad it didn't hurt any of you furs.
    We keep the TTO around too, its swell fur toe fungus on the peeps toes that is, heals aceand so on. Good stuff:)
    We have seen toothpast for peeps with that in it too! Wow!

    POTP fur that ouch to heal up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by for a visit. We love to hear from you.