Thursday, May 05, 2016

Cat in Hat with Scarf


Buddy:  I wish you would dress more appropriately in public, Marcus.

Marcus:  I'm always well-dressed, one leash for my collar and one leash for my harness. 

Buddy:  Have you noticed one of those leashes is torn and ugly?


Marcus:  Torn and ugly are my trademarks.  I have razor sharp teeth!

Micah:  Can you argue that later?  I want to hear about your second walk Wednesday.  I heard it was more interesting than the morning one when Merci was with you. 


Marcus:  Why did Jan take this picture?

Buddy:  I think she was trying to get you, me and the yellow pipe in the same shot, but you were too busy trying to catch flying bugs to stand still.

Micah:  Why did she want the yellow pipe in the shots she took of you two?

Marcus:  Because a young woman walking ahead of us suddenly stopped.  Then she peered down a yellow pipe with the help of her cell phone light.

Buddy:  As we were walking by, she said, "There's a baby bird stuck in here, about a third of the way down the pipe.  It was making noise or I would never have known it was here."

Micah:  So did you rescue it?


Buddy:  Actually, it was not a baby bird stuck in the pipe, but a family of tiny baby birds nesting in the pipe.

Marcus:  The pipe has a "handle" across the top with only a small opening on either side, so Jan had a hard time holding onto our leashes and aiming the camera through the small opening to illuminate the opposite side of the inner pipe with the flash.  This is a terrible picture but that is part of the nest with the babies between the yellow and the black.

Micah:  Oh, I see it.  The nest looks sort of like a cat face with eyes and a nose peering out between a black knit hat and a yellow scarf.

Buddy:  Seriously, Micah?  When is the last time you actually saw a cat dressed for winter?


Marcus:  Forget the cat in the hat with a scarf.  Let's get back to the story.  I could reach the top of the pipe with my nose if I stood on tippy toe paws.  From there I could smell the birds but Jan wouldn't pick me up so I could look down the pipe to see them.

Micah:  I wonder what kind of birds they are. Do you suppose they could be hummingbirds?  Hummingbirds here are the size of a bumblebee.

Buddy:  I wonder how many times we have walked by the nest and not known they exist?

Marcus:  I knew they were there.  I just didn't tell anyone.

Micah:  Uh-huh.  Are you aware your ears will grow if you lie?

Marcus:  They will not!

Buddy:  If you say so, but they sure do look a little taller from this angle.

Update:  Oh, dear, this has been such a busy week, we thought today is Wednesday.  We just wrote our Thankful Thursday post for tomorrow and then realized it IS Thursday.  So we're going to celebrate twice this week with a two-part post.  

Join Pepi Smart Dog and friends for the Thankful Thursday blog hop.  

16 comments:

  1. Oh how sweet, I do hope the baby birdies will be okay in their unusual nest
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We hope the baby birds' Mum can get in and out of the pipe so they get fed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweeties i hope those baby birdies stay safe...i am sure their Mum thought it was a nice spot...and hey a bedraggled lead says lot's of walks :) loves Fozziemum xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    Well I guess if the trees disappear, the birdies must get inventive!!! that is probably as safe a place as any - though it could get interesting at fledging time... hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. birdies!! WOW - I love to watch them and listen to them outside the front door. XOXO - Bacon

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's that time of year for all the babies to be out
    wooof,
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  7. We hope they make it out of there safely.
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope the birdies will be OK.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fingers crossed for the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a very exciting find! I hope they grow up to fly away healthy and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep us posted on the birdies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope so much the birdies will be safe. Surely there is a mama flying about and bringing food. It certainly would be interesting to watch and follow up their fate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope those birdies hush so nothing bad gets them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hay ewe dawgs......we haz ta bee nice thiz week coz oh momz day...
    sew we will say we hope de ewe noe whatz will bee all rite ~~~~ ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. If the mommy and daddy birds can get in... the babies should be able to get out...

    OMD OUR EARS GROW IF WE TELL FIBS????? No Wonder Ernie's are so long... everybuddy KNOWS that ERN LIZs on ME.... OMD our EARS Grow when we FIB?????

    ReplyDelete
  16. PepiSmartDog: its always amazing where parent birds pick to make a nest.
    Sadly, its a real reflection of habitat destruction. Many bird species will ONLY nest in the hollow of a tree and when no trees are available - out of desperation they are forced to turn to artificial hollows.
    Of course hollows ONLY occur in aged trees.
    What you discovered is actually quite important. :=o(
    Thank you for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop. We always love your posts.
    Hope to see you again this week too. Have a great week! *waves paw* :=o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by for a visit. We love to hear from you.