There is nothing like bad news first thing on a dreary morning to jolt you wide awake.
The local animal shelter manager called earlier this morning to see if Jan had received his email. However, we're glad Jan turned off the computer just before the message was sent very early this morning, (12:14 a.m.) or none of us would have gotten much sleep last night for worrying.
Late last night the shelter was hit by lightning and the kitchen and office caught fire. The cat room, closer to the fire than the kennel, was filled with smoke but not burned. The fire must not have reached the door to the dog runs.
They will continue to hold the animals Jan photographed for the newspaper ad, but they will not be taking in any more animals for a while.
According to the shelter manager, none of the animals were harmed. Jan plans to go by tomorrow to help clean up the office, which was evidently badly damaged.
We hope none of the cats or dogs will have any stress or smoke related health problems as a result of the fire.