I'm Rusty and I'm hosting today's post.
Yesterday was one of those days! Sam was barfing, Jan had to go out in the horrendous heat to lug several gallon water jugs home, the computer cpu fan kept going off and the mouse died, Jan kept forgetting what she was doing .....
As we told you a couple days ago, the water in our town was off Monday, the second major problem in five months. Last time we were two days without water and 5 days boiling water. Well, it was 6 days for Jan since it ended Sunday afternoon but as hard as we tried, we couldn't find out until the next day.
This time, we still have some of the donated bottled drinking water left but our boiled water lasted us just up to 11 pm Tuesday, the end of the 24 hour boil your water advisory. Jan then washed two days worth of dirty dishes and filled our water bowls right from the tap. We have big water bowls and we all drink a lot of water in this heat and humidity.
We were shocked to hear on Wednesday morning's news that this had been changed at some point. It was extended to at least noon Friday -- "if all goes well." So we all started worrying whether Jan has poisoned us. And then the mailman delivered the newspaper: " people can shower and wash clothes but should not drink the water or wash dishes in it." NOW THEY TELL US! After all us furries have lapped gallons of tap water and most of the dishes Jan owns have been washed in water that might contain "viruses, parasites and some bacteria." Well, at least we found out before Jan washed the salad veggies she bought Monday.
Jan also bought a small reduced steak Monday. By Wednesday it was looking kind of iffy, so it was either cook it or toss it. So Jan grabbed the bottle of apple cider vinegar to clean it and sprayed it well, then rinsed it with a paper towel dampened in boiled water. She tenderized it, added spices, and then noticed the apple cider vinegar bottle where she left it this morning. She had grabbed a bottle of Spic N Span and water to clean the steak. Ewwwww. ( For those who haven't heard of SNS before, it's a household cleaner. Jan cleans the floors and other things with it.)
Meat is not in her budget so she was not about to toss it. Even reduced, it wasn't cheap. So she washed it under running water -- you know, the water that might contain the bad germs. And then she wiped it with boiled water. And then she beat the crap (probably not the word to use here) out of it with a tenderizing tool. And threw it in a HOT skillet.
If we disappear suddenly for a while, it might be the computer overheated and died. Or it might be Jan's culinary skills need improving and we have to nurse her. Or it could be she's fine but she really did poison us with the tap water and she's getting payback on multiple vomit duty.
Now to our regularly scheduled post.
Yesterday we read another story of a human who had to leave a pet behind -- in this case because of Alzheimer's -- and the family's first response was to kill the pet. Wednesday was our Cotton's 11th birthday and also Bella's, the soon to be sibling of The Monkeys. Fortunately, instead of killing Bella, the vet called a rescue and she ended up being fostered at Samson & Delilah's.
After Katrina, we were heartsick when we read of a family who returned to their home and found their dog emaciated and weak after an extended period without food or water. So they carried the suffering, still-living dog out to the road and dumped her on the trash pile. Someone picked up the dog and got it medical help, but it was too late. It died shortly after rescue.
And now we have someone who threw their puppy out with the trash. An obviously unloved and uncared for dog with an unset broken leg was put it in a crate covered with a blanket without food or water and put out with the trash. But Dillinger is getting care and is sweet as can be. We hope he gets a terrific home when he's healthy and up for adoption.
Click here to read the story and/or if the video doesn't play.
Have a purring and tail wagging day. And don't drink the water. At least not if you live here.