Sunday, March 22, 2015

Surprising Update on Cameron

I thought it was hard to bury Cameron on Friday.  It was hard to bury him again on Saturday.  But before I tell you that peculiar story, I would like to thank everyone for the kind facebook and blog comments and emails.  I do intend to thank each of you individually after I recover from the past two days.


Meanwhile, thank you Miss Ann the Zoolatry Human for sending this lovely graphic after our Friday post.


And We Bees Siameezers made this lovely graphic on imikimi for us.  Thank you, Ingrid. 


Just over Marcus and to the right of our logo, you can see the area where I tried twice to dig a grave so Cameron could be buried beside his old Funny Farmer siblings but the Georgia red clay is rock hard and I had to change the plan.


I decided he would be safe inside the pen.  It was not any easier and I could only manage a shallow hole.  Marcus didn't want his friend buried and dug up the dirt as fast as I could shovel it in. After I finished, I half-filled a large plastic storage container with water to temporarily protect the grave.

Late that night all the dogs in our corner started barking. It was more intense than usual. The 2 dogs next door could be heard scratching and beating at their wooden fence.  I had a hard time getting my dogs inside but they finally came.  There was nothing to be seen and I wasn't about to go back near the alley late at night.  And whatever the ruckus, it was out of sight.

I was up with Marcus about 3 times during the night.  Each time he went out to the container and stared toward the corner of the wooden fence.  He didn't want to come back inside.


After the sun came up, I let Marcus outside again and saw this.  It's the shirt I wrapped Cameron's body in before burying him.  There was a small shallow hole dug under the end of the container.  Something strong had dug just far enough to grab the body and pull it out so the grave collapsed on itself.  Something strong had worked an opening at the bottom of the chain link just barely big enough to drag Cameron's small body through. 

A coyote can leap over a six foot pen.  It can climb a chain link fence.  There are coyotes in this area.  I saw one for myself last August or September.  Cameron was gone!



Thankfully, I found his body in the area under our logo in this picture.  This photo was taken after the hole in the fence was boarded over and bricks spread to "fill in" the hole that was dug.  That patch is just out of sight around the corner in the photo below.  That's why Marcus had stood staring.  Cameron was on the wrong side of our fence.


I went next door.  The guy was at work.  When his girlfriend checked, his dogs were missing.  She called and he came home to search.  Fortunately, he found them a mile down the road. I am so grateful those dogs are safe because I really believe they broke out of their yard in time to chase off one the predator(s) carrying off Cameron's body. 

Marcus was so happy to have Cameron back.  I tried to dig deeper but couldn't, so I wrapped Cameron in two plastic bags and tied them closed.  Then I moved the dog house over the grave and perched a container on top to discourage any idea of using the dog house as an entrance or exit aid.  Marcus is quite the athlete.

Marcus became attached to Cameron the last couple of months and is acting out his stress.  He started three fights with Sam (one included Buddy) before breakfast Saturday and two more last night. I hope all the Funny Farmers will calm down soon and there won't be any more midnight raids in the back pen.  And definitely no more grave digging! 

40 comments:

  1. I am so very sorry to hear your story about what happened to Cameron. My heart goes out to you as it is so very difficult when we lose one of our beloved pets. Then to have to endure another burial. Sending hugs and prayers to you and your family. Jeanne, Chloe and LadyBug

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a story that was. All of you have endured enough. Pawhugs to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's more than anyone should have to deal with, Jan, when they've just lost a beloved family member. I'm so sorry. Continued purrs and purrayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a terribly upsetting thing to happen for you. I am so glad Cameron's body was close by for you to bury again. It is so hard to lose one of our loved ones, but this makes it so much worse for you. Purrs and hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry you had to deal with that kind of upset on top of an already great loss. May Cameron watch over you from above, knowing how much he was loved and protected.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Jan it was bad enough that you lost Cameron but to have this happen was awful for you. I am glad that you were able to get him back to bury again. I hope everything settles down soon for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so terrible and we're so very sorry you had to go through that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Jan.....I'm so sorry! That is just awful. I'm really glad that your neighbor's dogs chased off the culprit/s and that you found Cameron. ::hugs:: Please be gentle to yourself and take good care of you, Marcus, and all the other babies. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no. So sorry. Maybe lay ricks on top of his grave
    Snorts,
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are so sorry this happened, Jan. You already have so much to deal with, and then to have something try to abscond with your beloved Cameron's body is just terrible. We're glad you found his body close by, and we hope you are able to bury it again. If we lived close by, we would come and help you dig the hole. We absolutely would. Love, hugs, purrs and prayers from all of us, dear friends.

    P.S. - Maybe a pick axe would be able to get through that clay?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jan this is more than anyone should have had to have dealt with at a time of immense grief. I can attest to how rock hard solid Georgia clay is to dig in. Big strong men have a difficult time so I can understand why it was so difficult for you. Thinking of you with prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We were so sorry to hear about your loss while we took a day off from blog reading.And what a terrible thing to have to go through while you are still grieving.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We've been away from the computer for a few days and just found out about your loss. We are so very sorry and are sending our sincerest affection and condolences. We know how hard it is to lose a beloved friend. Hugs, Alana and Crepes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so horrible- I am so sorry that you had to go through Cameron's burial twice. My thought and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so sad and I am sorry that you are having such a difficult time. Hugs to all of the Funny Farmers

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a horribly distressing and sad thing to have to re-bury Cameron but I am SO happy that you could - and that he wasn't carried off somewhere. The neighbors' dogs as you say may have prevented that from happening. I'm just so sorry that you had to go through the entire thing TWICE. I hope you all AND Cameron can "rest easy" now..............

    Hugs, Pam (and Sammy)

    ReplyDelete
  17. hello funny farmers its dennis the vizsla dog hay i can only imadjin the reeakshun heer if sum coyote or kreetcher had tried to mayk off with tucker or trouble or pooh bear i am verry glad yoo got cameron bak so he cud be reinterrd at the funny farm ware he belongs!!! gud wurk hero dogs nekst door!!! ok bye

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMC:((
    How horrible to have to go through all of that.
    We wanted to put our Suki in a grave in our yard but could not for similar reasons. So we just made a nice homemade headstone in her honor.

    I sure hope you do not meet up with the creature that was trying to be a grave robber, sheesh.

    Sending lots more hugs, you sure need them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh bless your heart, that is horrible for you to have to go through. I can't even imagine. Thoughts and prayers are with you. I'm so sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Jan, we are so sorry to hear you had to go through this, how awful. Purrs and prayers to you and all the Funny Farmers as you grieve your loss of Cameron.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a distressing turn of events. We hope he can now rest in peace.

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, my goodness! You handled this so well considering what happened to poor Cameron. I'm glad you were able to find him quickly and give him a burial that will keep him safe. Years ago, our Maddie Marie (kitty) was kept up in the garage loft until we were able to dig her grave in the spring. RIP Cameron. xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. This was just rough on everybody - I hope things settle down now, and that everyone can work through the sadness without anymore disruptions.

    ReplyDelete
  24. We awe so sowry fur yous loss. Cameron will be missed. and weez sowry yous had to go fwu this. We can only magine how hawd all of this must be on you. Weez sendin' lots and lots of purrayers.

    Luv ya'

    Dezi and Lexi and mommy Audra

    ReplyDelete
  25. We are so sorry to hear of the troubles you have had following the passing of Cameron. You are in our thoughts and send you lots of prayers.

    Mindy
    Moe
    Mike
    Cookie
    and mom Nina

    ReplyDelete
  26. We're so sorry to hear that your dear Cameron has left for furryland and what a terrible continuation :( Sending you extra soft pawkisses to comfort your pain <3

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, no sweet Jan, my heart is aching and tears flowing for you. I am so sorry that happened to sweet Cameron. I hope all will be well with the grave now and sweet Cameron can rest in peace. I hope everything settles down now at your place and all of you can grieve in peace and let your heart heal from the loss. Love, hugs, purrs and prayers continue for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. We're so sorry to read it : it should have been so upsetting for you. We send you tons of purrs and gentle headbonks. Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so sorry that Cameron ran off to the Rainbow Bridge and that you had to bury him twice. That must have been heart-wrenching. I send hugs and the kitties send comforting purrs.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That just has me in tears. I am so sorry. Certainly because Cameron passed but certainly because you and the Funny Farmers all had to go through this. I am deeply sorry. Sending love. I know hard clay soil. We have it here in TN too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. We are sorry to hear of this latest trouble.
    We purr very hard this will be the last.
    We hope the woofies will settle down too.
    Purrs and headbumps to you.
    Purrs Georgia and Julie,
    Treasure and JJ

    ReplyDelete
  32. Jan what an awful thing to go through..may i suggest an awful lot of camphor mothballs in with Cameron..the strong smell may ward off predators...as long as your guys will not try to dig as they are poison..i do hope Cameron can now be at rest..sending our biggest hugs and love..Bev xxx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sending more purrs and prayers. We are so sorry that you had to go through reburying Cameron. At least the predators didn't get away with him. You all need to take a little time for yourself to help you all with your grief.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh Jan! So hard to have to go through that twice! Yay for Marcus & the neighbor dog heros! My heart is hurting for you. Purrs & prayers

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is beyond upsetting! What an awful thing to have happened.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Take some quiet time out. Kind thoughts continue to head your way.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a traumatic thing to have to go through... having him dug up like that! Glad it appears all will be well now and he can truly rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Ok Jan, I am in tears here that you had this extra trauma. The thing that is so truly heart wrenching but also poignant is the sense of family the funny farmers displayed over Cameron's little body and also the neighbour's dogs! It really tears my heart. Hugs Caro xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh my gosh! How horrible!!!! I am so sorry

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by for a visit. We love to hear from you.